miniature skull 3D Resin print to Lost Wax metal casting + silicone mould technique- by VOG

Hey guys, I love Lost PLA Casting, but FDM printers
aren’t great at small and detailed. So now I have the Elegoo Mars resin printer, I was
keen to test out its capabilities with a little Lost Wax Casting. I headed over the Thingiverse and found this
skull. I imported this into Blender and filled in
a few holes. I’m still learning Blender, so I switched
to Fusion 360 to add a hole location for a chain. I even decided to risk the continued
wrath of the casting gods by sneaking in my logo. I also attached a sprue ready for casting. I thought I’d experiment with printing angle
to see which got the best results. Whilst they were all good, the best for me were those printed on their sides. Silicone moulds are easy to make but silicone
is expensive. So keeping things minimal is best This is an empty paint pot – a simple plastic
bottle, but anything non-absorbent and clean will do for a mould box. A bit molten wax acts as a seal. This is the silicone I’m using here. It’s
mixed in a ratio of 10 to 1 by weight and stirred well by hand. Once poured it can be tapped or vibrated to
remove trapped air, but as I have a Vacuum Chamber, I’ll be using that. It’s by far
the best method. It can take up to 24 hours to set depending
on the quantity, but this one set overnight. The plastic bottle was cut away with a sharp
utility knife and this same tool is used to carefully slice into the silicone. Just cut
gently, easing the silicone apart, until you reach the pattern. Neatness doesn’t matter
just don’t cut off any pieces… keep the silicone whole. Eventually you can pull the pattern away with
ease and personally I keep one side of the mould intact, to act like a hinge. I put back the plastic bottle for support
and wrapped some masking tape around it for support. Last week I demonstrated my Lost Wax Casting
Injection set up. It’s simple, but it really works. I allow 5 to 10 minutes after injection for
the wax to cool. The silicone is pushed free of the plastic support, then gently prised
apart to remove the wax pattern. Not bad eh? Some have flashing, but the wax
is easily trimmed away and better to do it now than when its metal. A hole is easily drilled by hand through the
soft wax. I’m still using my PLA basin and sprue set
up, though I’ve replaced the central sprue with wax. Again I’m using the straw technique to get
that vacuum all the way inside the flask. My last outing with Pewter wasn’t brilliant,
but someone sent me this brand new Tin-based Pewter to try. It pours nice… but there’s no satisfying
plunge to remove the plaster. Here we go again… Some more flashing, but not looking too bad. Actually most of that flashing was so thin
it disappeared when I was washing away the excess plaster. But look at the detail. Look at the teeth. A little rub with a small steel brush removes
the majority of the remaining flashing. Clean up with a small hand file is effortless.
This Pewter files much better than the last lot. I took two and sprayed the recesses black
to see how that would look. Then everything went in the Tumbler for half
an hour. And that, amazingly, was that. It couldn’t
have been an easier clean up. All ten castings came out perfectly. All of
them retained great detail. And all of them kept my logo… so I’ve slipped one passed
the casting gods this time. WE’RE WATCHING YOU, VEG BOY! Tumbling uses stainless steel shot and these
act like tiny hammers burnishing the metal. Pewter is quite soft, so a tiny bit of detail
was lost… especially on the sprayed ones. They ended up having 3 hours in the tumbler
to remove the paint, so I don’t really like those much. HA HA HA… You might be thinking they’re not greatly
detailed, but they are for their size. I’m thrilled with them and I’ll be placing 8
of these on my Etsy store if you fancy buying one. The proceeds go to supporting my channel. So there you go guys… small, accurate, detailed
prints with the Elegoo Mars, becoming almost equally detailed casting using Lost Wax Casting.
And if you’re wondering where the Lost Resin Casting is, well stay tuned. Not long now
guys. So take care guys, and thanks for watching.

6 Replies to “miniature skull 3D Resin print to Lost Wax metal casting + silicone mould technique- by VOG

  1. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»Great work Geoff they came out spot on πŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ»πŸ»πŸ»πŸ»

  2. Another great video mate!

    I love that you show the entire process every time, keeps it interesting the whole way through.
    Fantastic detail on those things.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *